Appalachia IU #8 – Mindfulness for Educators and Their Students
Institution: Appalachia IU #8
Course Name: Mindfulness for Educators and Their Students
Duration: 6 Weeks
Format: Online Asynchronous
Credits: 3 Credits/90 Hours
The goal of this course is to expand the teacher’s knowledge of mindfulness practices, and as a result of new learning, integrate concepts into his/her classroom accordingly which may result in increased teacher engagement and more effective classroom management, ultimately creating a more conducive learning environment for students.
Participants will learn…
- Analyze the theory and practice of mindfulness and how it can inform classroom experiences through taking/analyzing results of mindfulness surveys and setting classroom goals.
- Design and implement a plan to integrate mindful moments using basic mindfulness practices into their schedule to improve personal health and well-being through intention writing and creating SMART goals.
- Critique and evaluate scientific evidence related to varying mindfulness topics through a combination of resources and apply relevant information to classroom.
- Analyze the concepts of mindfulness of thoughts/emotions, mindful communication, gratitude and self-compassion and through reflective activities experience how these practices can increase health and well-being.
- Demonstrate how mindfulness can work in a classroom setting and help inform teaching practice through analyzing classroom scripts and summarizing, describing and analyzing mindful and not-so-mindful moments.
- Analyze the objectives, resources, wants and needs of their particular school district and create a plan to introduce the basic concepts of mindfulness to fellow teachers and administration.